Keeping the old flavor and feel of classic architecture is what had made Hinnegan-Peseski Funeral Home a long lasting
tradition in the City of Chatham.
Established in 1904 by John J. Hinnegan the original location was on the corner of Fourth and Llewellyn Streets in Chatham. In 1932, Hinnegan moved his place of business to the former estate home of Duncan McLachlin, at its present location on William Street. Mr. McLachlin, owner of the Canada Business College, built his mansion in the late 1870’s.
A related story is that of Mr. McLachlin’s son, an aspiring Hollywood actor, in town visiting his family, had with him a friend, also a struggling young actor who, before he left, carved his name in one of the wooden joists in the basement. His name was Gary Cooper.
In 1945, T. Brady Hinnegan took over and added substantially to the structure over the years.
In December of 1986, Thomas E. Peseski, having been employed by the firm for 24 years, purchased the business. In 1989 his son Ron rejoined the firm as a Licensed Funeral Director and in 1996 his other son Dan also a Licensed Funeral Director joined the firm.
Completely refurbished in 1994, Hinnegan-Peseski has its chapel, visitation, selection rooms and lounge all on one level and is completely handicap accessible. A definite part of Chatham’s history, the McLachlin Home is as rich today as it was when it was first built in 1878.
In 2004 The Hinnegan-Peseski Funeral Home, soon to become The Peseski Family Funeral Home will celebrate its 100th year in business, serving the people of Chatham-Kent as a family owned and operated Funeral Home.